Troubleshooting system catalog generation
If you are having difficulty generating a system catalog from your Synergy database, the problem may lie in the repository files themselves or possibly in the generation process. In addition to this topic, you may want to read, If the system catalog won’t open.... and Verifying the system catalog.
If you’re encountering problems when you attempt to access data with an ODBC-enabled application, see Troubleshooting data access. For information on troubleshooting system catalog caching, see Troubleshooting system catalog caching.
Check your repository files
To find problems (such as missing keys) in the repository files themselves, you may need to look at them using S/DE Repository. For information on how repository files should be set up and checked, see Setting up a repository.
Check file locations
- Make sure your repository files are in the location you expect.
- Is RPSMFIL set in the environment? Does it point to the directory where your repository main file is located?
- Is RPSTFIL set in the environment? Does it point to the directory where your repository text file is located?
- If you are using repository files other than those indicated by the RPSMFIL and RPSTFIL environment variables, have you specified their filenames and paths at the command line or in DBA?
Check the conversion setup file
If you have created a conversion setup file and are using it as input for the creation of the system catalog,
- is it located in the directory indicated by the SODBC_CNVFIL environment variable, and is SODBC_CNVFIL set in the environment?
- are all the IN | OUT arguments set to include the tables you want in the system catalog?
- does it include environment variables indicating table locations? Are these variables set in the environment?
If you are using dbcreate to generate the system catalog and you want to input a conversion setup file other than the one specified by the SODBC_CNVFIL environment variable,
- did you indicate the filename of the new conversion setup file as an argument?
Setting variables for generation options
- To ensure that your data is read correctly by an ODBC-enabled application, have you set the necessary variables for generation options before attempting to generate the system catalog? These variables may include SODBC_CNVFIL, SODBC_CNVOPT, SODBC_COLLAPSE, SODBC_INIFIL, SODBC_ODBCNAME, and SODBC_TMPOPT.
- See System catalog generation issues for information on potential data conversion issues.